Welcome!Individuals with disabilities bring strength and diversity to Maine's workforce. Employmentforme.org strives to provide you with helpful information about disability employment resources and initiatives in Maine.
Pick the box below that applies to you:
Resources to help in preparing for, finding and maintaining work.go here for more
- MPBN's Maine Calling features "Helping People with Disabilities Find Work" Maine Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Director, Betsy Hopkins, L.L Bean Manufacturing, Kathy Kiggins and P&G Tambrands David Bartage discuss employment of Maine people with disabilities.
- The final newsletter of the Medicaid Infrastructure Grant (MIG), also known as the Choices/CEO grant is now available. Read about a number of systems improvements spurred by the partnership between the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the Department of Labor (DOL), intended to improve employment opportunities for people with disabilities in Maine. Links are provided throughout so that you can learn more about Clubhouses, the Maine Business Leadership Network, Peer Support, Employment First, and more.
CHOICES MIG newsletter December 2012 pdf. version CHOICES MIG newsletter December 2012 .doc version
- October 2012 is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) — a time to celebrate the many and varied contributions of America's workers with disabilities. This year's theme is "A Strong Workforce is an Inclusive Workforce: What Can YOU Do?" For more information and resources visit the Office of Disability Employment Policy NDEAM website
- Maine’s Disability Employment Initiative (DEI): Building on the successes of the Disability Program Navigator (DPN), the Disability Employment Initiative (DEI) (link to DEI Fact Sheet) was launched in October of 2010 with the goal of improving education, training, and employment opportunities and outcomes for youth and adults with disabilities who are unemployed, underemployed, and/or receiving Social Security disability benefits. The funding for the grant is being used to increase access to these opportunities for people with disabilities through Maine’s CareerCenter network. Under the DEI umbrella and in collaboration with other community organizations, Maine’s CareerCenters have initiated a statewide Ticket to Work program; a Flexible Employment Fund (FEF); and Regional Asset Summits. In addition, the DEI team is working with Maine’s new Business Leadership Network (BLN) to assist with start-up activities. To learn more about the Disability Employment Initiative, go to Maine CareerCenter Disability Services page
- Maine’s Untapped Workforce: How Hiring People with disAbilities Makes Good Business $ense was held April 3rd and attended by more than 100 business owners, managers, HR reps and others learning to "walk the talk" and evolve their businesses. Sponsored by the State of Maine and Maine State Chamber of Commerce, they heard representatives of Walgreens and Procter and Gamble make the business case for integrating people with disabilities into the workforce. (P&G’s Tambrands Hiring Initiative at its Flexi-Center facility in Auburn is adapted from a groundbreaking diversity-hiring project started by Walgreens at its South Carolina distribution center). They also heard from a local Maine business panel that shared success stories and talked about overcoming fears and obstacles and lessons learned from employing people with disabilities. The takeaway? Workers with disabilities add value while gaining economic independence and a better quality of life. Employers expand their pool of talent and skills and gain dedicated employees — a win-win for all.
- The US Business Leadership Network comes to Maine: The US Business Leadership Network is the national disability organization that serves as the collective voice of over 60 Business Leadership Network affiliates across North America, representing over 5,000 employers.
- Bookmark and Share This Site:
- Syntiro is the home for the Employment for ME Workforce Development System. See their full calendar of trainings for professionals.
- The Maine Business Leadership Network is an employer-led affiliate of the US Business Leadership Network, a national organization that serves as the collective voice of over 60 Business Leadership Network affiliates across North America, representing over 5,000 employers.
- On Facebook? Check out Maine pages - Department of Labor. Also national pages: Disability.gov, Work Without Limits (MA), the US Business Leadership Network,National Council on Disability, and Syntiro